Tuesday, August 7, 2012

With Every Pencil Stroke, A Prayer

I offered a portrait commission for a fundraiser auction for a local charity. I did not expect to do a portrait of Josh and his sister, Jessie for their mother. This past year, the town rallied to support Josh in his fight against cancer. Benefits were held, prayer vigils held, newspapers updated. We the community held our breath as Josh fought for his life. He was smart, kind, 17, with a bight future, and a Facebook page that proclaimed, "I love Jesus" in capital letters.  He inspired thousands of people with his famous quote, "When you can't stand, kneel."  Needless to say, this was a difficult portrait to draw! I was nervous, wanting perfection for such a nobel person. I was full of thoughts for all the loved ones left behind. I have never had the opportunity to create a portrait of a hero. And I was full of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment